In a nutshell we were told in the Spring that Elizabeth was going to have PT and OT go from 30 minutes every week to 15 minutes every 6 weeks. We weren't happy, felt defeated in the ARD and didn't fight it then and we should have.
School is now about to begin and we were faced with yet another challenge of trying to fight for Elizabeth to be able to stay at the campus she was at this past year. There are a multitude of reasons why we believe it is the best place for her but trying to persuade the school district is another story.
I have never prepared myself for anything quite like I prepared myself for today's meeting. I felt like I was going on the job interview of my life. Shakes, sweats, nervous tummy.....the whole gamut of emotions. Along with lots of nerves there have been lots of prayers that God would have a hand in all of this.
God did have a hand in all of this. Not only was the special Ed director pleasant and the meeting remained calm, we felt like we were heard and she shared in some of our frustrations. Elizabeth will get to stay at her current campus and they are going to re-assess her to see about getting back her PT and OT services. They can't make any promises but at least we are moving in the right direction. We are also going to rework her IEP (Individualized Education Plan) to make it more meaningful to Elizabeth long term.
The moral of this story is; Be an advocate for your child even if that means stepping out of your comfort zone and fighting for what you feel like is right. I love that sweet girl so much and no one else will fight for her but us.
1 comment:
Good for you girlfriend. You are such an encouragement to me as a Mother. Thanks for sharing...love you!
Post a Comment